(Washington) President Donald Trump on Monday pledged a “thousand times larger” US response to any attack on Iran after an American diplomat reported in the press about a plan to assassinate Tehran.
Posted on Sep 14, 2020 at 10:01 pm Updated at 11:46 pm
France Media Agency
“Every attack by Iran in any form against the United States will be followed by an attack on Iran that will be a thousand times bigger!” Mr. Trump tweeted.
The head of American diplomacy, Mike Pompeo, confirmed on Monday that he was “taking seriously” information about an alleged plan by Iran to take “seriously” an American diplomat whom Tehran had described as “unfounded”.
According to the Politico news site, which quoted two US officials on condition of anonymity, intelligence agencies believe the Iranian government is considering an attempt to assassinate US ambassador to South Africa, Lana Marks. near Donald Trump.
The threat discovered since the spring has become more precise in recent weeks, according to Politico sources, as Tehran seeks revenge for the death of its powerful General Qassem Soleimani, who was killed in an American strike in January on the orders of the American President. .
“We take these kinds of statements seriously,” Mike Pompeo told Fox News.
“We know that the Islamic Republic of Iran is the first state to support terrorism in the world and that they have already carried out this type of assassination,” “in Europe and elsewhere,” he added.
“We will do everything in our power to protect each of our State Department officials,” he continued, warning Iran: “Attack an American, wherever and whatever. Whether it’s a diplomat, an American Ambassador or a soldier acts, it is completely unacceptable. ”
The Iranian Foreign Ministry had previously assumed it was “false information”, “without basis”.
His spokesman spoke of “repetitive and disgusting methods of creating an anti-Iranian climate on the international scene”.
Iran has “shown that it has consistently adhered to the principles and practices of international diplomacy,” while the Trump administration “has violated many internationally recognized standards and methods,” he said.
The American President withdrew the United States from the international Iranian nuclear deal in 2018 and found this text insufficient to prevent Tehran from acquiring the atomic bomb and curb its “harmful” influence in the Middle East.
Despite unprecedented American sanctions, his “maximum pressure” campaign did not encourage negotiation of a “new deal,” a goal declared by the Republican billionaire, and tensions between the two enemy countries remain high.